By: Total Health Systems
Did you know that employees spend about 60% of their waking hours at work and eat at least one meal on shift? This means that making healthy food and drink choices at work can have an impact on our health and energy levels.
Here are some tips on how to shift to healthy eating at work:
Fueling for your Workday
- Kick start your day with a nutrition packed meal such as: low fat yogurt, fruit and oatmeal.
- Energize your day with a healthy mid-shift meal. Have a wrap or sandwiches prepared with veggies.
- If eating out, choose restaurants that offer healthy choices. Downsize large portions by packing half to bring home for later or split an entree with a co-worker.
Rethink your Drink
- Keeping well hydrated will help you stay alert. If you find water "boring," try flavoring it with lemon, cucumber, or fresh mint.
Survive the Mid-Shift Slump
The mid-shift slump is often caused by the body's internal clock sending signals which cause drowsiness at night and during the mid-afternoon. Healthy habits can help keep you energized throughout your shift.
- Don't skip meals
- Choose healthy foods, including protein (lean meats or nut butters) at meals and breaks.
- During your break, go for a brisk 10 minute walk or longer if possible.
- Connect with others. Chat with a co-worker also on break.
- Opt for a walking meeting, when possible.
The food and drink choices you make while at work play a major role in maintaining your health and energy levels.
"Your diet is a bank account. Good food choices are good investments." - Bethenny Frankel