The opportunity to hire new workers can be an exciting time for any company, offering the potential to add someone with new skills or fill a vacated position. But the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that workers with only one year of experience, who represent 25% of the workforce, make up 34% of lost-time claims and costs.
It's critical for companies to use pre-screening tools and pre-employment testing to identify potential candidate liabilities or a likelihood for workers' compensations claims.
When screening applicants, employers are encouraged to perform:
- A work history check to verify references and employment history.
- A criminal record check. Patterns of fraud or criminal activity could be a red flag.
- A credit check.
- A medical, alcohol, or substance abuse test. Most of these screenings can be done only after a contingent job offer has been made.
- A workers' compensation background check. This can only be done after a contingent job offer has been made and is not available in all states. Check with your background screening company for availability or potential restrictions of such a check.
- Aptitude, personality or integrity tests. These can indicate a candidate's fit within a company's culture and can detect those who may be inclined to lie or cheat.
- Strength tests. While this is relatively new, this process can eliminate applicants who may be physically unable to perform necessary job duties.
Pre-Employment Testing Available
AccidentFund is pleased to offer pre-employment testing to our policyholders through a partnership we have established with Psychometrics. While no hiring decision should be based on this testing alone, we believe that making smart hiring choices is critical to workplace safety. AccidentFund policyholders can purchase this service through Psychometrics at a reduced price or use another vendor of their choice.
Be sure to visit our Hiring Safety Site for safety information and tips. AccidentFund policyholders can also log into our website for additional safety tools.
If you're not a customer, click here for WorkSafe information or find an AccidentFund agent near you!
*Blog shared from AccidentFund*